Friday, July 20, 2012

Sylvia Woods, 'The Queen of Soul Food' in Harlem Has Died at 86

I had the honor of going to Sylvia's once back in the late 90's when a friend of mine thought I needed a little more culture in my life. To be honest with you I was a bit nervous about going to Harlem back then even if it was to have the best Soul Food in New York. Let's just say that the minute I walked inside that restaurant all the nervousness that I was feeling outside disappeared once I smelled the aroma's floating around. The other thing that stood out to me was how welcomed I felt by everyone who worked there, especially since I was the only caucasian that happened to be there that night. I fondly remember the waiter helping me pick out what he thought I would like to eat on the menu. Fried Chicken, Mashed Potato's, Collared Greens, Corn Bread Stuffing and a delicious hunk of Corn Bread. There was more on the table for sure, but I can't really remember.
Sylvia's will always be a story for me to friends that I know will never make the trek uptown, even though I know they would love it. New York has truly lost a legend. RIP Sylvia Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment