Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stuff White People Like

Hmmm...curious title eh? That's what I thought when a friend of mine from Texas told me that I should read this book. I was like..."Ummm I am not so sure about this, do you realize I live in NYC?" I said before actually taking a look at it. What I found after perusing a few pages was a hilarious take on a certain group of white people that I somewhat fit into, ok I really fit into. Stuffwhitepeoplelike.com is where this all started as a blog by a guy named Christian Lander after a discussion he had with a friend about the HBO show The Wire. The discussion centered around the fact that his friend couldn't trust any white person who didn't watch the show and wondered aloud what could they possibly be doing if they weren't in front of their TV's watching it. Some of the guesses were...divorcing, therapy, yoga or going to plays. Thus Christian began the blog with this general idea and now 80 million hits and a best seller later, Stuff White People Like is now internationally known. Now the reason I thought it important to post this on my food blog was because food is a common theme in Christian's book and thought anyone would get a kick out of it by comparing themselves to what you place importance on. Some examples are as follows:
#1 Coffee
#5 Farmers Markets
#6 Organic Food
#13 Tea
#23 Microbreweries
#24 Wine (Cheese is at a ridiculous #145)
#32 Veganism/Vegetarianism
#34 Brunch
#42 Sushi
#45 Asian Fusion Food
#48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops
#63 Expensive Sandwiches (Possibly my #1, in food terms)
#117 Premium Juice
#137 Eating Outside
#143 Bakeries
#145 Cheese

Regardless of where you rank the stuff you like, you will certainly get a kick out of reading this book and it will be something to share with your friends as well, of course after you explain the meaning of the title as to avoid any further awkwardness. Be sure to check out the website for new entries to find out what new things white people are liking these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment