Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pret A Manger: The British Invade Our Tummies, Thank Goodness

I never realized that Pret was started by a British couple back in
1986 and to think where we would be if we had all started eating this stuff back then. Hmmm...maybe the move towards better quality food in this country would have begun a whole lot sooner. Who knows but I will tell you one thing, these sandwiches sure are delicious. The one I always turn to is the Turkey Bacon Club with Avocado but the strange thing is that it's not mentioned on the menu on the website...weird. It doesn't matter because it's really good and probably the only way I'm gonna eat wheat bread. The first thing you have to understand is that these sandwiches are not your typical pre-packaged food even though it looks that way. I got into a discussion the other day with a person who refused to eat any sandwich that was pre-packed even though I told her it really wasn't. That's her prerogative but she's wrong. These sandwiches are made fresh with ingredients that are delivered every morning, so you can throw out the assumption that these are typical packaged food. At the end of the day Pret donates all left overs to charity and you won't find any sandwiches on the shelves that had been made the day before. More importantly all ingredients are fresh without any additives and all natural to boot. One of my favorite items at the 17th and Broadway is the bottled water that comes from the mountains in upstate New York, I mean who woulda thunk it? Of course I always have to have a bag of chips when I eat a sandwich and I always choose the Kettle Salt and Vinegar. Perfect combo. You won't leave Pret without spending at least $10 bucks but you have to pay for food that is good for you. Currently there are a whopping 24 locations in Manhatan so you won't have to go very far to enjoy their fine fare. Please visit their website, www.pret.com, to read their story and see what's on the menu. 
Pret A Manger means Ready To Eat in French...FYI

No comments:

Post a Comment