Monday, May 3, 2010

Market Week: Gourmet Garage

Original founded in 1981, Gourmet Garage has been offering it's fine foods to the public since 1992 and has always been a favorite of mine. I think I like it most for the fact that it is not Dean and Deluca, also a fine place but in my opinion an over-priced option. With it's old fashioned charm, fresh breads, pre-made food options, fresh vegetables, cheeses and more, Gourmet Garage offers the best casual shopping experience in the city without the hustle and bustle of other well known joints. My favorite location has always been the one on the corner of Broome and Mercer, a bit small but very cozy. I often stop in just to pick up my favorite spicey olive mix and to walk around even if I am not buying anything else. For the full experience I suggest the Gourmet Garage at 117 7th Avenue South which is by far their largest and most noticable of all their locations. Here there is a larger selection of seemingly everything and it's also a fun place to people watch...I once saw Matthew Broderick squeezing some melons on a Thursday afternoon (don't be crude, I mean fruit you dope). Surely you can people watch just about anywhere in Manhattan. If you are looking for a quick meal to go I suggest trying one of their pre-made sandwich wraps or my personal fave, the Rigatoni with Meatballs, you won't be disappointed. For more information on Gourmet Garage please visit their website, http://www.gourmetgarage.com/, and look to see which one of their 6 Manhattan locations is closest to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment