Monday, May 10, 2010

May Wah or Wah Mei...Whatever, It's Amazing!

Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words after all, but what's important here is how it tastes and not how it looks. Take my word for it. Another spot where you need to know someone before you go, May Wah (or Wah Mei which it says on the awning) is a true hole in the wall that you will not soon forget. Usually very warm and stuffy, the restaurant (if you can call it that) serves up it's fine food at a very rapid pace. There are a few stools to sit down at but I highly recommend taking it to go otherwise you will smell like the place even after a shower. You also need to know what to order because not much english is spoken, not to worry. To me there is only one choice on the menu. Fried Chicken or Pork Chop over White Rice with Special Sauce, Pickled Veggies and a Marinated Hard Boiled Egg...yeah it didn't sound too good to me at first either. I really have no idea what's in the special sauce, nor do I want to know, but the smell and the taste is intoxicating. You will know when you are close because of the smell, it's unbelievable how far reaching it is, I swear I can smell it five blocks away. It smells so good. Admittedly I am not a hard boiled egg eater and still don't eat them outside of this dish but there's something about this egg combined with everything else. I like chopping it up and mixing it in with the sauce and the rice and the veggies. It's all about the textures here. The chicken is succulent and flavorful, not your typical fried chicken because there is no breading applied thankfully. For only $5 bucks it's a filling meal that will have you coming back for more. I also suggest buying a couple extra to put in your fridge for a later date, it's great to bring to work for lunch the next day. May Wah (Wah Mei) is located at 190 Hester Street, not to be confused with May-Wah Healthy Vegetarian just down the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment