Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cake & Shake: A Yummy New Cart In Washington Square

So I read this little article about a new food cart opening up in Washington Square Park that charged $3 bucks for a cupcake and I was immediately intrigued. If someone has the nerve, the unmitigated gall to charge that much for a cupcake, it must be good and worth my patronage. After checking out the Cake & Shake website I decided there was no time like the present to join in on the excitement and head down to the park for a taste. But when I got there...no cart! I immediately pulled out my iPhone (gratuitous plug to show how cool I am) and checked to see what their schedule was becuase I thought it was 9 to 9, 7 days a week. To my surprise I was completely right, but where were they? Extremely disappointed I moved on because I actually had something to do for work. Later on in the day, once I was finished with my work errand, I passed back through the area to see if the cart had appeared and luckily there it was, right on the north east corner of Washington Square Park just like it said it would be. So I moseyed on over with a boyish grin to find that I wasn't the only one with a hankering for some sweets and stood at the back of the three person line. Jeez. Anyway I was directed to the menu board on the side of the truck and it was explained to me that at the top were the 5 selections for the day but unfortunately the shake machine was malfunctioning. I assumed that this was the reason for their late start to the day but I decided that it wouldn't dampen my spirit. I settled on the Warm Glow cupcake which is made with Spiced Cake (Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Allspice), Carrot Pastry Cream, Golden Raisin and Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Walnuts...I know my mouth is watering too and I already had one! The first thing I noticed about the cupcake, other than the fact that it made my legs weak, was the fact that the cake part was so damn good. Normally cupcakes can be a bit sub-standard when it comes to it's underside with all the focus being put on the toppings, usually just a fluffy, not-so-flavorful lump of cake actually. But here it's a standout that accentuates the delicious aforementioned ingredients just above. And that frosting, oh my goodness. Sharing is not an option my friends so be prepared to buy more than one if you have company. Cake & Shake uses 100% organic ingredients in all of their cupcakes. All of the paper products that are used are 100% recycled plus their plastic products, which are made from corn, are completely biodegradeable. On the presentation front, the carts artwork, as well as the artwork on their packaging, is really fabulous and was designed by David Heatley (http://www.davidheatley.com/). Please check out their website for more information at http://www.cakeandshakeny.com/.


Please be sure to check out my other blog at:

No comments:

Post a Comment