Wednesday, May 12, 2010

NYC Street Fair's: A Summer Tradition

Long a tradition in NYC, Street fairs are a great way to waste some time during a weekend if the weather is accomodating. Now I am not talking about the Feast of San Gennaro on Mulberry Street that runs for two weeks in September, that is an over crowded fair that I try to avoid. I am talking about the run-of-the-mill fair's that happen to pop-up when you least expect them especially when you need to drive across town thru one of them. Actually Time Out NY has a weekly schedule of fair's listed on their website (http://www.newyork.timeout.com/) so you can plan ahead. Usually I stroll thru smelling the different food choices, trying to find something to eat that is different from the last fair I attended. The classic choice is the sausage and peppers carts with smoke and steam spreading the delicious aroma that you just can't avoid. Some of the other choices include: Gyro's, Kebabs, Tacos, Empanadas, Arepas, Corn on the Cob, Kettle Corn and more. A strange addition to me has been the Crepes booth's that I am now seeing at most fairs. I don't know why this is so weird to me but it just is. Be prepared to spend a little extra for the food choices, which is the norm for these events. Just remember though that we are not talking about fine cuisine here and that you could probably get any of these foods within a block of the fair. It's NYC afterall. Soon I will be blogging about of the couple of choices I made at the last fair I attended, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment