Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Other End Of The Spectrum...Rainbow Falafel & Shawarma

Right next door to the lovely Dogmatic is a hole in the wall called Rainbow Falafel & Shawarma, actually they have the same address, 26 E 17th st, but they couldn't be more different. The hole in the wall comment is no joke, it is literally a hole barely big enough for a couple of people to stand and order a Falafel. Mainly for utter curiosity I stopped in to give it a try because it certainly wasn't for it's first impression or by recommendation, not to worry. Since I had never actually had a Falafel, or at least I couldn't remember, I just ordered the first item on the menu which of course is a Falafel. The gentleman behind the counter asked if I'd like some white sauce and onions to which I said sure, I mean why not, and I was ready to go in just a minute.
At first it felt like I could have used a second one since the bag was pretty light but on inspection it was more than enough even though it could've used a bit more of the Falafel stuff. Actually the Falafel part is ground up chick peas with some delicious spices and it was in fact delicious. The important part is there wasn't too much onions and lettuce, so basically no wasted space and that made it more enjoyable. For that reason I will certainly visit again and try something else on the menu. Obviously Rainbow Falafel & Shawarma is not about appearances which I for one am often swayed by the presentation and packaging. However none of that guarantees a good experience and I am happy to say it worked here for the opposite reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment