Friday, June 1, 2012

Why Do I Always Order The Same Thing At Chinese Restaurants


I feel the same way about Diners. There's a ton of options, and a lot of them sound really good, but for some reason I always end up eating a Turkey Club with a side of Fries. History tells me that when I deviate from the norm and go for something different, say a Gyro, that I will most certainly be disappointed. It's really strange because I am always out and about looking for new things to eat. At this point in my foodie life Chinese food has basically become a comfort, so there are certain dishes that I am accustomed to having. Same goes for my family, half of which is actually Chinese. Whenever we all go out to a Chinese restaurant I can guarantee that we order the same dishes, and I find that my Chinese family is even less inclined to try new things than I am. For me it's always Chicken and Broccoli and 9 times out of 10 I will be happy and satisfied with my meal. If I go a different direction, say Moo Shu Pork, there is a much greater chance that I will go home wishing I had ordered the Chicken and Broccoli.
However I do offer a solution...
Order a wide range of things and share. People love sharing at Chinese restaurants, especially if you are at one that has large round tables with a built in lazy susan in the middle. I find that even though you may not get as much of one dish you at least get to try more than a spoonful of the other dishes. This way you won't feel like you are eating the same boring things over and over and have suddenly become a little more adventurous...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment