Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kimchi Fried Rice At Wawa Canteen

Yesterday was a hot and steamy day in NYC, so of course I had to run a couple of errands for work and I was not too happy about it. Oh well. However what it did offer me was a chance to find someplace new for lunch but that meant being outside longer in the dreaded heat (suffer for food bit). I finally came upon a place called Wawa Canteen at 289 Mercer Street just below 8th Street. It's a very small place and I was hoping for a bit of AC, but unfortunately they had none, at least it wasn't blowing in my direction. I soon realized that this place was a Korean eatery and I was very intrigued because there were lots of great choices. What I didn't want was a huge meal so I chose a simple item, Kimchi Fried Rice with Chicken, and thought that would be enough on such a putridly hot day. A nice little touch was their self serve jug of cold water with lemon, of which I had two large glasses, one while I waited for the rice to be done. Once I got my smallish bowl of rice (small for $9.50) I put a few drops of soy sauce on it and dug in. I would just like to clarify that I have never been a Kimchi fan so this was a bit of a stretch for me and I was taking a chance that I might leave totally unsatisfied. No worries. The rice was extremely delicious and looking back it was plenty of food even though I probably could have had some dumplings or something. It may have been a bit pricey but the quality is what counts, so it was well worth it and I will most certainly stop in again at some point. Please check out their website to see their whole menu: www.wawacanteen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment