Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Bistro Truck: Gourmet Street Food?

Gourmet food never tasted so bland. Not that I was looking for the most amazing meal, I was out yesterday in search of something interesting, and interesting is what I found. However I was a bit disappointed with my meal from The Bistro Truck stationed at 5th Avenue between 16th and 17th, 6 days a week. I'd spotted it while I was crossing the street and was intrigued with what it offered, an affordable gourmet Moroccan-Mediterranean menu, or so they said. The menu had lots of choices including a Grass Fed Beef Hamburger but I wasn't so sure that they really offer Hamburgers in Morocco or even in the Mediterranean. I opted for the more traditional Lamb or the Marrakech Lamb as they called it. The menu said it was Roasted, Marinated Pulled Lamb (yeah the flavor was pulled out), with Rice and a side of Mix Spring Salad all for only $7 bucks, not too bad I thought. Not that it has anything to do with it, but I wasn't all too impressed with the truck itself and the fact that the person taking my order didn't ask if I wanted a drink or anything else for that matter. I know, I know, that's a bit knit-picky but sometimes that shit actually works on me. I remember my first stop to the Treats Truck and having the girl suggest different treats that I should try, there's nothing wrong with a recommendation. Anyway back to the food. I hurried back to work and opened up the bag to dig in. It looked plenty good and I was really hungry. Honestly it wasn't all that bad but I couldn't help but feel like it was missing something. There was this white sauce on the top of the meal that was very tasty but it was only a small dollup not fit to moisten the rather dry Lamb...wait I thought they said it was marinated? The accompanying rice had a brown tint and I was fully expecting it to have some flavor, sadly it was as bland as a piece of paper. Harsh, yes. So I thought maybe if I mixed it all together with the Salad and the dressing and all that would make it taste better....no. After scraping the aluminum cantainer clean (you'd think I enjoyed it) I felt somewhat unfulfilled, hungry is what I like to call it because when I eat something that isn't satisfying I still feel like eating something. Hmmm on second thought I am always hungry. So if you find yourself down in that area and see the Bistro Truck and feel like giving it a try I hope your experience can be a heck of a lot more satisfying than mine.
The truck looks dirty but it's on purpose...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment