Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back To Defontes For The Firehouse Special

I have been thinking about this sandwich for weeks. A month or so ago, the last time I was at Defontes (3rd Ave at 21st), the guy behind the counter told me to try the Firehouse Special, of course after I had already ordered a different sandwich, which was fabulous by the way. So I promised myself the next time I went to Defontes I was going to give the Special a try and surprisingly it took me longer than I thought to find my way back there. No matter. Today in search of some solid nourishment I finally made it over there to order the sandwich that I have been anticipating for so long. Roasted Pork, Breaded Eggplant, Provolone Cheese and Broccoli Rabe. MMMM! So good. Wow it was really worth the wait. As you can see in the picture the ingredients are uniformly placed for an amazing distribution of flavors all perfectly complimenting the others (say that ten times fast!). The juice from the Roast Pork moistens the sandwich so there is no need for any condiments and there really shouldn't be, it's perfect without. Thankfully I was smart and didn't order Potato Salad or grab a bag of chips, because that would have significantly affected the enjoyment. When a sandwich is really good, I mean really good, it is not necessary to eat anything with it so you can experience it without any distractions. The question is when do I go back to eat it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment