Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rafiqi's Street Cart In Union Square: Street Food Done Tasty


There are food trucks and food carts littered accross the city of New York devised to service the fast paced nature of all who work here. For years I believed that the food on the street only consisted of Hot Dogs and Pretzels and it was only something you ate in a pinch or at a ballgame. These days however it is a complete food movement causing major rumbles in the food service industry, some like it, some don't but I for one am an ardent supporter. The fast paced nature of the food doesn't have to mean crappy food and from what I have seen a lot of the carts and trucks offer good quality, sometimes even better than some restaurants. Now I am not sure I would call Rafiqi's Middle Eastern Food Cart in Union Square high quality fare but in a pinch it sure is some delicious food and all for only about $5 bucks. I'm a Chicken and Lamb combo kind of guy with Yellow Rice, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Cheese and White Sauce (I am not sure what this sauce is but it's a necessity here). Often times there is a line of about 4 or 5 deep awaiting to be served but it moves so quickly that you don't even notice the wait. I do caution anyone from eating this food more than once a week since I have had experience in this area and don't recommend it, in fact it's probably better suited to once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment