Friday, September 24, 2010

Hill Country Chicken Is The Best Fried Chicken I've Ever Had!!!

Ok that is probably an over-statement but I am no Fried Chicken expert, all I know is that damn bird was juicy! For weeks earlier this summer I walked up Broadway past the corner of 25th street and wondered what exactly was happening inside because it was under construction and all they had on the door was the image of a Chicken. So the other day when I was reading the blog Midtown Lunch (great by the way) they mentioned that this place called Hill Country Chicken had just opened and it was the same exact place I had been passing. Early reports were that it was good but expensive and the wait was a bit too long with lines out the door. Well it's all true. In fact I waited on that long ass line today which stretched out to the corner. A little daunting yes, but it was worth the wait. I'd prepared myself by checking out their menu online and read about the history of the recipe blah, blah, blah. I am not going to go into it here I just want to talk about the food. First off the place smells and looks wonderful. It's retro, reclaimed kinda vibe really adds to the effect and was actually a pleasure. There was also lots of room to roam with numerous tables scattered about, so staying there to eat didn't seem so far fetched even though I took it to go.

I will say one thing about paying $5.50 for a Chicken Breast, $2.75 for a Drum, $2.50 for a small Cheesy Mashed Potatoes and $1.00 for a biscuit...you will certainly not over-eat at this place. It was definitely starch overload and I continue to think that I should have gotten the Cole Slaw to counteract the affect. Oh well back to the Chicken. There are two options when it comes to the Chicken, Hill Country Classic Style or Mama Els' Recipe, and of the two the Hill Country Classic was better. It was juicy and flavorful and like I said, it was the best Fried Chicken I have ever eaten. Not that the Mama Els' was bad or anything, it wasn't, but it was certainly not as good. Now the words Cheesy Fried Mashed Potatoes are enough to make anyones knees buckle, so you know I had to order it and I have to say they did not disappoint. The Buttermilk Biscuit was way to good, I mean I could've eaten like twelve of them and it would have cost me the same as my entire meal, but I'm glad I didn't. So do you think I liked it or what? Of course I did but I won't be going there too often. Not only is it pricey but it is still Fried food afterall, you can't eat that stuff every day, if you do well you'll be poor and dead. Not too promising.


 
















No comments:

Post a Comment