Thursday, September 20, 2012

In A City Built On The Sandwich, Potbelly Sandwich Shop Doesn't Add Much


Do we really need another chain sandwich shop in NYC? Maybe, maybe not, but ultimately it just has to be good.

New York City is a place that is known for great sandwiches, whether it's the amazing bread or the regional choices that define the melting pot that we live in. I love a good sandwich and if I could, I'd probably eat one everyday. However, not just any sandwich because I don't accept sub-standard or run of the mill fare like Subway or Quizno's, but I try to still have an open mind and am willing to try anything once.

So the other day I happened to be in Union Square on 17th Street, a place where I've pretty much eaten at every place from Broadway to 6th Ave except for one, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, which I decided to try. Honestly I hadn't heard much about it before other than knowing it was a chain that had begun in Chicago. Chicago, that's another city that's known for great sandwiches...right?

Maybe not. The picture above is the sandwich that I ordered which they call the Italian but I call the ordinary. You see that's what it was like to eat at Potbelly, it was ordinary. It wasn't bad but come on, there are way better sandwiches in New York City. Actually right across the street is Pret-A-Manger which I believe has much better sandwiches. Also just a couple of blocks away is Tom Colicchio's sandwich shop 'wichcraft, which has amazing selections. Even Lenny's on 23rd has better sandwiches and I don't like them much either.

I was satisfied though...with my water, my Cole Slaw and my Sour Cream and Onion Chips. Seriously though it wasn't horrible, so if you want to go to a place that has ok sandwiches then Potbelly is the place for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment