Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Vietnamese Bahn Mi For Lunch From My Favorite Shop, Saigon Vietnamese Sandwich


Doesn't that look yummy?

My favorite Vietnamese Sandwich in the City from Saigon Vietnamese Sandwich shop on Broome Street just off of Mulberry. Been going there for years. Just $4.50 gets you one of their over sized Bahn Mi, which is the Vietnamese term for Bread, but whatever it is it sure is delicious.

The House Special is filled with BBQ Pork, Pork Roll, Pickled Veggies, a Cucumber slice and Cilantro all on a scrumptious torpedo roll, and is usually served extra spicy. I've been known to eat two in a sitting especially when they are still hot and the bread is crispy, but one is generally enough. The highlight of the sandwich is certainly the BBQ Pork, a sweet layer of crunchy goodness that is accentuated perfectly by the rest of the ingredients. However I must warn you, it's smell is a bit deceiving.

If you've never had Vietnamese food before than you are certainly not aware of the National Sauce of Vietnam which smells pretty bad. I really can't describe it but it's rank. It's some kind of Fish sauce which they put on everything, but when I tell you it's delicious you have got to believe me. Wanna know why? Because I hate Fish. A foodie who hates Fish, I know....how could I be a true foodie if I don't eat Fish? We all dislike something, so what.

The bottom line is that this sandwich is fantastic and you need to experience it for yourself to understand what I am talking about. When you do, you will thank me.


No comments:

Post a Comment