Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Pizza At Aliotta's Pizzeria Was 'Molto Bene!'


Molto Bene in Italian means 'very good' and usually is accompanied by some sort of lips kissing finger tips, not that I do that. I'm Italian, well half of me is, but in no way do I speak the language much to the dismay of the other Italian kids that I grew up with. They called me a fake italian...nice, of course I don't speak to any of them anymore. I can actually speak english and sound like I'm Italian, but then I sound like Marlon Brando in the Godfather...'We're going to make him an offer he can't refuse...' Sometimes I scare people when I do that.

Either way I loves me some Pizza and working in a newish area the first thing I gotta do is try out all the Pizza joints. It's exhausting, especially when you try to do it all in one day! Ok that's not what happened. So far I've tried two places, one that I won't mention and the other being Aliotta's Pizzeria at 191B Prince Street. I actually found it online through GrubHub since I was alone and not able to go out for lunch, so actually it was a shot in the dark that it would even be good.

Obviously by the title of this piece you already know how it was, yes it was good, quite good, especially since I'd had no prior knowledge of the place. But isn't that really how it should be? I mean I know there is a whole system of reviews and stuff, and sort of what I do here, to help people find new places to go, but isn't it a little self defeating to never go out on a limb? Not that eating Pizza is really reaching but it could have been total crap. Thankfully it wasn't.

The crust was extra crunchy with lots of bubbles and charred edges...love that. The cheese was extra gooey and tasty. Sauce oozed out the edges dropping blotches on my paper plate which I later mopped up with crust. If there was any complaint, but it's not really a complaint, was that it was a bit thick, not the typical thin crust NYC style Pizza, but that's just being picky. One benefit was that I was able to save some slices the next day because who doesn't love cold Pizza?

Honestly I don't think I would ever go out of my way to eat at Aliotta's again, there are far too many other Pizza joints that I prefer. However if I am working Downtown again and have a hankering to have some Pizza delivered, it will certainly be ordered from there.

1 comment: